Marine Mechanical Technician
The Marine Mechanical Technician will diagnose, perform repairs to, and service all makes of diesel and gas marine engines and generators, (particularly Yanmar, Volvo, Mercruiser), outboard engines, conventional inboard drive trains, and saildrives, plus associated electrical, electronic, and plumbing systems.
- Diagnose and perform repairs/servicing on all makes of marine engines and generators, electrical and plumbing systems and other products sold and serviced by the company.
- Provide support and advice to our customers on all aspects of boat systems.
- Complete paperwork for customer billing, warranty claims and internal procedures.
- Perform work in other departments and special assignments as required by workload demands.
- Occasional off-site work required; in general work is carried out at Stones Boatyard and Stones Marina.
- Possess a Marine Mechanical Technician and/or journeyman certificate (or equivalent years of experience), for marine diesel and/or gas engines.
- Be willing to train on any other products the company may take on, as required.
- Be able to install and service thru-hulls, valves, plumbing, toilets, fresh water and sea water and sanitation systems.
- Boat DC electrical system experience is also required.
- Must be able to effectively use OEM published technical information, both hard copy and online.
- Be practically minded with an ability to solve problems, and able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Be sociable, a team player, and have a positive personality.
- Be willing to respond to after-hours service calls and occasional weekend scheduled standby days during the boating season, as needed.
- Be able to mentor and train apprentices.
- Must be able to provide daily, accurate work orders, timesheets, and estimates.
- Must be self-motivated, maintain a good work ethic, able to meet with customers and have a good customer relations record.
- Have a clean driving licence.
- Possess own hand tools.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or have (or be able to obtain) a valid work visa.
Skills & Experience
- Have current marine diesel engine, including service and overhaul, experience; and be capable of installing engines and controls to sailboats and powerboats.
- Experience in a customer focused environment is required.
- Welding and fabrication experience is a plus.
- Relevant American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) certification will be an advantage.
- Boating experience is desirable, but not essential.
Benefits: Company healthcare plan covering employee and his/her dependents for health, dental and vision benefits plus staff parking, uniform, and PPE. Staff discounts available for boating equipment sold through the onsite Marine Store.
Other: Technical training is provided, as and when required or agreed, to meet standards and best serve customer requirements.
Vehicle: A company truck will be provided for transport as required.
Relocation: Support will be offered for relocation from the BC mainland to Nanaimo (or within easy daily commuting distance of the shop) if required.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00-$45.00 per hour