Marine Travelift Operator
Experienced Marine Travelift Operator, Stones Boatyard, Nanaimo
The Marine Travelift Operator will join an experienced team of operators to assist in the lifting and launching of up to 700 recreational and commercial boats each year. As a full-service yard and boat storage centre, no two days are alike and that means interesting, diverse, and challenging work.
If you are a self-starter looking for employment that offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, we invite you to dive in and explore the possibilities.
The Marine Travelift Operator’s daily routine includes, but is not limited to, safely operating our 82-ton travelift with a wireless remote control to move boats to designated work, and storage areas.
This position requires someone who has 2+ years’ experience with a marine travelift, and forklift in a boatyard/yacht environment. We are looking for someone who has a strong work ethic, takes pride in their work, has strong communication, organisation skills, the ability to prioritise, multi-task and work as part of a cohesive team.
The boatyard hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 0800 – 1630, plus other additional hours/overtime as required.
- Boatyard Supervisor and/or Boatyard Manager.
Job Duties Responsibilities – Marine Travelift Operator:
- Assisting boat owners, crews, and contractors with the haulout, launching and storage of their boats.
- Operating 82-ton travelift, and hauling, launching, and blocking of yachts and commercial vessels up to 85 feet long.
- Supervising yard staff assigned to assist lifting, washing, and blocking boats.
- Managing lifts and reporting back to management daily.
- Performing all basic under waterline work from start to finish including antifouling, anode changes, prop, shaft and rudder cleaning and painting.
- Organizing all yard equipment and carrying out preventative maintenance programmes for all company owned equipment, including forklift, travelift, water treatment plant, etc.
- Proper and safe use of slings, etc., ensuring safe movements of vessels.
- Placing keel blocks, boat stands and support blocks under vessels in accordance with size of vessel.
- Monitoring machinery/equipment to confirm equipment works correctly and efficiently.
- Checking equipment daily for proper fluid levels and general operation including hydraulic lines and fittings, strap condition, and report and maintenance/repair issues to management.
- Grounds maintenance and boatyard cleanliness
- Carry out additional duties as assigned by supervisor
Required Experience and Education
- High School Diploma required.
- 2+ years’ experience operating travelift in the Marine industry.
- Antifouling paint, zincs, trim tabs, shafts, rudders experience.
- Possess a high regard for safety in the workplace.
- The ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp and lift to 50 lbs. while working around moving machinery.
- Fluent proficiency in English language, verbal and written required.
- Valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Enjoy working outdoors and able to work in all weather conditions, hot, cold, and wet.
- Ability to ascend and descend a ladder.
- Basic boat handling skills a plus.
Required Service and Interpersonal Skills:
- Maintaining flexibility and safely performing multiple duties and tasks under stressful, potentially hazardous conditions.
- Maintain a customer focused, professional, and positive demeanour while on the premises.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Able to work independently at times and make sound decisions.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for help.
- Wear proper personal protective equipment (may include safety glasses, gloves, life jackets and/or hard hats) as required for the task or work area.
- Report all accidents, injuries, spills and near misses immediately.
- Eagerness to engage in a growing, and fast paced company.
- Consistently treat others with dignity and respect.
- Genuinely serves others with humility and a positive attitude.
- Frequently demonstrates a bias toward action.
- Always communicates effectively and courteously with fellow teammates and members.
- Continuously follows policies and procedures while seeking out new and better ways of accomplishing duties.
- Shows resolve and overcomes difficulties in a positive and productive manner.
- Gladly provides responsive, and high level of service to other staff.
- Eagerly puts forth the extra effort to accomplish duties.
- Adapts quickly and efficiently to changing priorities to meet customer or teammate needs.
Attendance and Punctuality:
- Applicant must be available to work weekends and holidays and overtime when required
- Punctual to work; has good attendance; uses good judgment.
- Attends meetings when directed; follows company policies/goals.
- Understands need for adhering to set schedules and deadlines.
- Maintains 100% attendance and begins working on time.
- Leaves for/returns from breaks on time.
- Uses correct language; speaks clearly; and listens.
- Able to complete written work orders, maintenance records and purchase requests.
- Greets clients; is respectful; is courteous; has acceptable attitude.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts well verbally; exhibits good listening and comprehension.
- Speaks politely and respectfully with all members of the team.
- Deals directly with co‐workers to resolve misunderstandings.
- Follows‐up quickly and completely; keeps management informed of situations and outcomes.
This is a full-time salaried position offering a competitive salary based on skills and experience in the region of $25-30 per hour, staff parking, uniform, PPE, plus health, dental and vision benefits covering employee and his/her dependents. Staff discounts available for boating equipment sold through the onsite Marine Store.
Technical training is provided, as and when required or agreed, to meet standards and best serve customer requirements.
Relocation: Support will be offered for relocation from the BC mainland to Nanaimo (or within easy daily commuting distance of the yard) if required.
Please send a resume and covering email to email@example.com
Stones Boatyard | Nanaimo Marine Travel Lift | Vancouver Island BC (nanaimoboatyard.ca) Marine Travelift’s 25-100 ton Industrial Boat Hoists